Ayutthaya


Go to content

Museums and Attractions in Ayutthaya

Attractions

The Banyong Ratanat Building, begun around 1688 under Prasat Thong's son Narai and completed by King Petraja, is situated on an artificial island in the west of the complex. It was used by Petraja as his residence throughout his reign (1688-1702).

Chakravat Phaichayon Building

Chandra Kasem Museum situated in the Chantharakasem Palace, originally was the residence of King Naresaun the great established in 1577 A.D. Website

Chao Sam Phraya National Museum - Ayutthaya was the capital of Thailand for 417 years and was destroyed by the Burmese in 1767. What was left are the numerous magnificent ruins of the old capital and also a large number of ancient art objects. In 1956-1975, most of the temples and monuments have been explored and excavated by the Fine Arts Department. It has resulted in the discovery of a great number of art and antique objects. So the Fine Arts Department organized the sale of the Buddhist votive tablets found at Wat Ratchaburana and the proceeds were used to build a museum to house those national treasures. The museum was named "Chao Sam Phraya National Museum" to commemorate King Borommaracha II (Chao Sam Phraya) who built Wat Ratchaburana in 1424. On December 26th , 1961. Their Majesties the King and the Queen presided over the inauguration ceremony of the first building of the Chao Sam Phraya National Museum, and the opening ceremony of the second building was presided over by The Minister of Education on January 30th , 1970. Extract from the offical Website

Elephant compound, One of a kind, used to capture, tame and train Elephants.

Khun Phaen House is built on an artificial island where a prison once stood. The traditional Thai house, one of the very few remaining, was constructed in 1940 from material salvaged from other old dwellings. It is not unlike Jim Thompson's House in Bangkok.

Phom Phet

Sanaam Luang

Sanphet Prasat Palace

St Joseph's Cathedral

Trimuk Building, an open pavilion standing on a broad terrace, in 1907. It has been the venue for many a ceremony held in honor of former rulers of Ayutthaya by a succession of kings

Wiharn Somdet




Home Page | City Guide | Attractions | Ayutthaya Hotels | Map of Ayutthaya | Love-Thailand.co.uk | eShop | Site Map


Sub-Menu:


Back to content | Back to main menu