Ayutthaya


Go to content

Temples

Attractions

Wat Boroma Buddha Ram, Built in 1683, only the walls now remain. Known for 3 doors that once lead in to the Bot, were covered with mother of pearl. These doors can now be found at the Grand Palace, the National Museum and one at Wat Benchama, all in Bangkok.

Wat Mahathat was built during the Ayutthaya period, when it was known as Wat Salak. Shortly after Bangkok was established as the capital of Siam, the temple had a strategic position between the newly-built Grand Palace and the Front Palace or residence of the vice-king. As a result, the temple was used for royal ceremonies and funerals. The temple grounds at Wat Mahathat in Bangkok are extensive. The main temple structures are a Phra Ubosoth (Ordination Hall) and a Phra Vihara (Viharn) alongside each other and both a large Mondop (square building) at the back of both the Ubosoth and Vihara. Besides the main buildings there is a sprawling complex with the monastic cells, schools, offices et.

Wat Na Phra Men is situated beyond the boundaries of Ayutthaya's island, on the opposite bank of the River Lopburi, was restored in the 17C and escaped the destruction caused during the sacking of the town by the Burmese. This temple has retained a statue of Buddha as king, depicted in royal attire studded with precious stones.

Wat Phra Ram, Built in 1369, it has been expanded several times and restored on the occasions it has fallen in to disrepair.

Wat Phra Si Sanphet - The royal palace was located here from the establishment of Ayutthaya in the reign of King Ramathibodi 1 (1350 A.D.) to the reign of King Sam Phraya (1448 A.D.). Later King Borommatrailokanat ordered a wat to be built on this site in 1448 A.D. to be used as a monastic area. After the reign of King Borommatrailokanat, his son King Ramathibodi II, ordered the construction for two chedis, one of which was kept the ashes of his father and the other those of his brother, King Borommarachathirat III. Another chedi was built by order of King Boromrachanophuttangkun. It was similarly used to house royal remains those of King Ramathibodi II.

Wat Ratchaburana dates back to the beginning of his reign in Phitsanulok. He ordered the construction a chedi and other buildings on the temple's campus. Today, the impressive chedi is nearly all that remains of the original construction. However, other buildings have been constructed among the ruins. The most significant feature is the nearly 600 year old chedi, dating back to the time of King Trailokanat. The chedi is said to enshrine relics of the Buddha. However, there is no access to the chedi's spire. Wat Ratchaburana has an unusual roof structure. Also, in the nearby shrine, a very nice Sukhothai style Buddha figure is situated amidst red painted columns. In addition, the shrine houses a showroom displaying old coins, bank notes, musical instruments and glass objects. The walls are decorated with artistic frescoes. An old bell tower, Hor Rakhang, as well as a recently construcetd shrine with a garden and six swan figures stand beside the monastery. There is also a meeting hall on the camups.

Wat Thammikarat is a huge temple of which there remain sections of the terrace, the pillars of the portico and a chedi with a crooked spire - rejoin U Thong Road from where a small bridge crosses the Lopburi to Wat Na Phra Men on the opposite bank. The temple is well worth a visit.

Wat Yana Sen, a temple with a tall chedi embellished with niches. Its fine, well-balanced structure is typical of the Ayutthaya style. From Wat Yana Sen can be seen two of the most important ruined temples in Ayutthaya, Wat Ratchaburana and Wat Mahathat.


Home Page | City Guide | Attractions | Ayutthaya Hotels | Map of Ayutthaya | Love-Thailand.co.uk | eShop | Site Map


Sub-Menu:


Back to content | Back to main menu