Bangkok 2


Go to content

Phayathai Palace

Sights in Bangkok


The construction of Phya Thai Palace began in 1909. It was built at Rama V's behest so that he might stay there and look out over the farms, plantations and livestock in the area. The palace grounds included those areas directly opposite the palace. He also had a complex included in the compound where the Royal Ploughing Ceremony might take place, since used on many occasions.

The Phya Thai Palace was only used by King Rama V for a short time as he died several months after the crowning of the new king.

During the reign of King Rama VI, Queen Saovabha, then Queen Mother, was invited to live there, which she did until her death in 1920. Rama VI then had the entire palace grounds demolished, leaving only the Devaraja Sabharamaya Hall (Phra Thinang Thewarat Sapharom) and Throne Hall, and ordered that the many new palace halls be built together to form a new Royal Phya Thai Palace.

King Rama VI then lived at the palace until the later years of his reign, when he moved to stay at the Chakraput Piman Hall Phra Thinang Chakkraphat Phiman) of the Grand Palace until his death.

King Rama VII ordered the palace be converted into an international hotel, an enterprise which ended five years later. The Phya Thai Palace then became the location of the first Thai radio broadcast station. Later, after a change of government the palace became a clinic for the Royal Thai Army and has since changed its name to the Phramongkutklao Hospital (Rong Phayaban Phra Mongkut Klao).


Home Page | Bangkok City Guide | Nightlife | Sights in Bangkok | Hotels | Love-Thailand | eShop | Site Map


Back to content | Back to main menu